I received a sample of the Saturday Skin rub-a-dub Refining Peel Gel from Sephora and decided to give it a few goes. Like many times, there is both good and bad about this product… here’s the breakdown👇🏻
Product Details directly from the Sephora website:
“What it is:
A refining peel gel that gently and visibly removes impurities and dullness with natural enzymes like papaya and bromelain.
– Dullness and uneven texture
– Uneven skin tone
– Loss of firmness and elasticity ”
(Source -> https://m.sephora.com/product/rub-a-dub-refining-peel-gel-P423971?skuId=2014611&om_mmc=ppc-GG_1165716902_56760232687_aud-591057692604:pla-419798509888_2014611_257731959749_9014219_m&country_switch=us&lang=en&ds_rl=1261471&gclid=Cj0KCQiAg_HhBRDNARIsAGHLV52hgi9gbm6x9G-JooV749TJe4XxI-Gb_Xd5Ia0YTKKL6c_kp6jPMG8aAsvCEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds )
It sounds really nice! And it worked for me!… with a slight complication…
1. Scent- This product has a nice, fresh scent that is not irritating. I actually quite like it.
2. Texture- Upon initial application, this peel has the same consistency as a standard exfoliating cleanser. It has more of a lotion type base, filled with small exfoliating beads. When you start to work the product into the skin, things get weird.🤪
3. Application- According to the packaging, you are supposed to apply the product in a thin layer to the entire face (avoiding eye area) to clean, dry skin. As I mentioned before, there is really nothing odd about initially putting the product on the skin, but when you start to rub the product into the skin (in circular motion for one minute, according to the directions) the product changes texture. It sort of starts to clump together into little balls on the skin.
At this point, the product doesn’t seem to sink into the skin, but rather, seems to sit on top of it. I could tell that my skin was being exfoliated here, but, I’m assuming because you are supposed to apply the product after patting the face dry, I experienced some discomfort here. The friction from rubbing the peel onto dry skin caused redness and slight burning. (Keep in my mind that I did apply this product gently.) This was my main issue with this product.
4. Removal- I had no problems with removal. I simply rinsed my face with warm water as directed, and the product came off very cleanly.
5. BUT DOES IT WORK??- How well did this live up to its claims on the Sephora site?
Dullness and uneven texture: My skin was noticeably brighter and smoother after using this! I was very pleased because this is why I wanted to try this product in the first place!🥰
Uneven skin tone: I can’t really determine if it helped to even my skin tone, because my face was red after using this due to the irritation from rubbing.☹️
Firmness and elasticity: I did not see any immediate results in this category, and unfortunately I won’t be able to test or use this product on a regular basis because of the irritation it causes to my skin.☹️
The best way to express my thoughts on this product is with this picture👇🏻
It definitely improved the dullness and uneven texture on my face, but I couldn’t tell a difference on the other two claims. It also irritates my skin during application of the product. So, while I did like the results that this peel gave, I can not recommend it to others because, the bad outweighs the good with this one.
That being said, I have oily, very sensitive skin, so this product may perform differently for different skin types.
I would also love to try more from this brand, because this product did deliver results! So maybe, a less abrasive product would work better for me.
I hope this was helpful to those of you that have seen this product (if you spend as much time on the Sephora site as I do, I’m sure you have😱), and have been wondering if it is worth the $28.00 price tag or not.
Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.
-Proverbs 4:23 KJB
With Love, Leigh-Ann💖
Check out my YouTube channel👇🏻👇🏻👇🏻